mother and child outside looking to the distance


Does my child need speech therapy?
Many children experience speech or language challenges as they grow. Some of these are a natural part of typical language development; others are more complicated issues that may or may not be associated with global developmental issues. Wherever your child is on the language development continuum, if intervention is needed, early intervention yields the best results.
What ages does SpeechKids serve?
SpeechKids serves children of many ages, with a special focus on children from birth to 5 years old.
Will SpeeckKids come to my home or my child's school?
Yes. The therapists at SpeechKids strongly believe that young children learn best in their natural environments. Being at home and/or school gives therapists a chance to train parents, caregivers and teachers, which helps children learn and maintain their new communication skills.
Does SpeechKids accept insurance?
SpeechKids does not currently participate with any insurance. You will be billed directly for services, and payment is due upon receipt of your invoice. SpeechKids will provide you with an invoice that contains all the codes necessary for insurance reimbursement.
When is payment due?
Payment is due upon receipt of your invoice.
What is Pediatric Speech-Language Therapy?
Pediatric speech-language therapy is the treatment of speech and/or language disorders in children.
What is the difference between Language and Speech?

Language is the act of putting thoughts into words and then putting the words together to make a coherent word/phrase/sentence/story.

Speech is the motor act of speaking: turning the language that we have come up with in our brains into sounds, words and sentences that someone else can hear.

A speech disorder refers to a problem with sound production. For example, a child who says "wabbit" instead of "rabbit" almost always has a speech problem.

A language disorder refers to a difficulty understanding or putting words together to communicate ideas. For example, a child who almost always says, "this one" when trying to name specific objects may have a language problem.

Who treats speech and language disorders?
A qualified speech language pathologist (also called a speech therapist or language therapist) treats speech and language disorders. Your therapist must have a Master's Degree in Speech Language Pathology as well as a license from the state in which they practice (including DC). They may also be certified by the American Speech-Language & Hearing Association (ASHA).